Call Toll Free: 1-877-236-3060

H-1B Visa Medical Professionals

H-1B Visa For Medical Professionals | US Immigration

What is an H-1B Work Visa?

The H-1B is a temporary work visa for foreign professionals that would like to legally work in the United States. In this article, we will concentrate on the H-1B for medical professionals. For other skilled occupations, contact us for details and we can assist you.

How Do I Get an H-1B Visa?

If you are a graduate of a medical school in the United States or Canada, you may be eligible for an H-1B. If you would like to provide direct patient care services in a U.S. hospital for residency purposes, a Canadian medical graduate or “International Medical Graduates” (IMG) must have passed the USMLE Step1 and 2 and satisfied the state licensing requirements In addition, an IMG must obtain a certificate from the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

Employer Sponsorship for the H-1B Visa

The issue with the visa is that the employer, let’s say for example a hospital, will have to sponsor you. Sponsorship involves certain legal obligations that can subject the hospital to liability. This creates a disincentive for the hospital to select a non-US citizen for residency purposes over a US citizen. The employer will have to go through a lengthy process that includes paper work and costs. For example, the hospital will have to file a Labor Condition Application and file the visa petition to USCIS. Moreover, immigration laws obligate the employer to pay for the business expense related to the H1-B employee.

What happens when an H-1B Visa Expires?

For the applicant, such a visa is only valid so long as there is sponsorship up to a maximum of 6 years. This means that regardless if the residency is complete, the visa holder must leave the country by the time 6 years expires. The only way of extending the H-1B status is by applying for a green-card. The hospital will have to agree to take on such an undertaking.

You should consult an immigration lawyer for help with your H1-B issues. Contact us here with questions and we will respond promptly.