The province of Manitoba is now accepting applications under the newly launched Business Investor Stream (BIS).
The BIS is separated into two pathways for applicants:
- The Entrepreneur Pathway is designed for applicants seeking to open or buy an existing business in Manitoba.
- The Farm Investor Pathway is for those who wish to establish and operate a farm in rural Manitoba.
Under the Entrepreneur Pathway, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Official language proficiency of at least CLB 5
- Minimum of 3 years full-time work experience as an active business owner or senior management role of a successful business; or farm management
- Minimum Canadian high school diploma equivalent
- Verifiable personal networth of at least $500,000 CAD
- Present a Business Plan and conduct a Business Research Visit
- Sign a Business Performance Agreement (BPA) with the province after an application is approved
Under the Entrepreneur Pathway, applicants must be willing to invest at least $250,000 CAD in an eligible business in the Manitoba Capital Region or $150,000 CAD outside the Manitoba Capital Region.
Under the Farm Investor Pathway, applicants must invest at least $300,000 CAD to establish a farming business in rural Manitoba. The application requirements are similar to those of the Entrepreneur Pathway, with a focus on farming experience and ability.
Successful applicants will receive a letter of support that will enable them to apply for a Temporary Work Permit to establish and operate a business in Manitoba, and thereafter satisfy the terms of the Business Performance Agreement. Applicants may qualify for a provincial nomination and ultimately permanent residence after they have operated their businesses for at least 6 months.